Wednesday 12 November 2008

The Yorkshire Wheel


Indeed it was the Yorkshire Wheel I took yesterday's view from. Wayne was right, despite referring to it as a blot on the landscape! Personally I have to confess to being a bit of a big wheel fan, even of fairground big wheels although they always scare me to death (obligatory horror thought while riding: what if the fairground man was on the p*ss last night and didn't put it together properly). Not that the Yorkshire Wheel was remotely like a fairground ride - much more sedate and upmarket - but I still had to ride it and get some photos.

The Yorkshire Wheel is gone now though. Yes, as reported by The JollyGreenP in this post , it was dismantled on November 5th and is no longer on the site at the National Railway Museum where it used to stand - although it will possibly be re-erected somewhere else in the city.

Thanks to everyone who had a guess at the location, btw. Jane, I loved your suggestion of on top of the Norman Tower. I would have needed a powerful zoom to see York from Bury :-D Now, what should Wayne have as his prize ...? Hmm, maybe a special photo, coming up on Friday!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ruby, is that the wheel that is supposed to be the biggest one in europe? If so, then I went on it one night when it was in Lincoln some years ago for the huge xmas market they have there. It was set up on a really high vantage point and I could see little twinkly lights for miles and miles - it was quite magical.

There wasn't a wheel in York last time I was there a few years ago.

Hilda said...

Beautiful sky! I love both your photos from up there.

Too bad the wheel's been dismantled — I hope they find a new place for it. They're not much to look at, I agree, but the views from up there are fantastic.

Anonymous said...

I thought the biggest one in Europe was in London? Anyway - I hadn't realised the Yorkshire Wheel had been dismantled. I kind of know what you mean about the "blot on the landscape", but I also kind of liked it - the 'wallpaper' on my laptop is a picture of a view of the Minster from this wheel, the views were pretty spectacular.

Anonymous said...

Love the strong lines and structures in this. Excellent image, love the colours as well.

Tanya Breese said...

LOL, love that term "on the p-ss" rofl...unfortunately, many of our fair workers look that way and that same thought runs through my head when I'm on a ride too, yikes!
Great photo!

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to remember which came first, the Eye or the huge ferris wheel, or whether there is a difference between the two as to whether they are the same thing - not that it really matters, I've been on both and really enjoyed both.
Sorry Ruby, I was being a bit flippant, I just got a mental image of you standing on some high point in Bury gazing longingly York-wards!

lunarossa said...

Love this shot, Ruby, of the cabins and the sun behind. Did not go on it but went on the Manchester one. It was a terrible experience...I almost sicked up...won't miss the experience...Ciao. Antonella

marley said...

They had one of these in Manchester when we were there in the spring and I was terrified! It wasn't like the wheel in London, it speed round and was rocking all over! Though I did get some good shots.

If you find yourself on one of these wheels or a fairground one take a big bolt on with you. At a quite moment slyley drop it from your hand, look panic striken and look up! The people with you will need clean under pants! Very funny :)

Beth said...

GREAT photo. Love it.

Whaddaya mean the wheel is gone?!! Can't believe it! I only went through a few weeks ago and it was there then. Was it very sudden??

Beth said...

PS: my 'York' post is here if you are interested :)

Christina S said...

I don't know if this is the Yorkshire Wheel was somewhere else first .. The London Eye was definitely up before the Yorkshire Wheel, but I can't don't know if the Eye was the first of its kind or not. But I dooo like riding on them!

Marley that is sooooooooo evil!!! I am now scared at the possibility that someone will do that next time I'm in a ferris wheel. I would not only need clean pants but probably a few electric shocks to the heart to get it started again!

Unknown said...

Apparently the big wheel in Nottingham is returning sometime soon. I can't stand heights either, but I gritted my teeth and bum cheeks and went up. It was great to see the city from so high, but was glad when it was over. Of course I took plenty of photos for blogging.