Sunday 28 September 2008

Memory of Place

This peaceful haven is in St Mary's, a 13thC church in the centre of York, just by the Coppergate shopping centre. Since 2004, the building has been an arts centre, where an artist is commissioned every year, to create an installation reflecting the surroundings.

The current installation is Memory of Place by Keiko Mukaide , and is "a spiritual space in which to reflect on the memory of loved ones." Visitors are invited to light a votive candle and float it on the pool. The glass rods at the end of the pool represent a spiritual path to a higher place.
This installation is in its second season now, brought back by popular demand, and ends on November 2nd.

3 comments:

JollyGreenP said...

You gave me a fright there Ruby! I thought one of my old posts had popped up in my Google Reader.

http://imagesofyork.blogspot.com/2007/09/memory-of-place-art-instalation-st.html

The water seems darker in your shot and gives a certain moodiness.

Mandy said...

I like the way the window is reflected in the water. I am less sure about the suspended glass columns.

Christina S said...

Jolly Green P, that is indeed a very similar post, LOL! Have you done any other posts on it? I shall have to go have a look see. It's a place I certainly want to revisit with my camera - very thought provoking!

Hi Mandy, I'm not sure whether my photo does justice to the glass columns. I'm going to revisit sometime soon and will perhaps see if I can get a shot that sheds new light on them.