Sunday 5 October 2008

The Park in Early Autumn

It was a bit of a golden autumn afternoon here in York today. Not that we were in York for most of it, and not that this picture was taken in York either, but the York connection is there as my youngest son Little J is wearing a York hockey shirt.

The picture shows Burnby Hall Gardens, Pocklington, where I spent this afternoon with Ruby Senior and both my youngest kids. Little J had been in a hockey tournament all morning. Won 2 matches, lost 2 matches, and did a lot of leaping about in the process, as he always does. So here, you can see him having a well earned rest by the lake.

Burnby Hall Gardens is famous for its water lillies, of all different kinds. I shall revisit next year in the right season. I'd never heard of this place - it's gorgeous, and it seems to be a genuine well kept secret of the area.

8 comments:

Picklesmum said...

Was that taken today - SUNDAY ? Here it Suffolk it has rained ALL DAY. Very hard. Without stopping.

Catofstripes said...

Burnby Hall Gardens - not going to stay a secret for long is it? I'll be there ASAP if the sun is still shining.

Bury Boy said...

Well today in Bury it rained ALL day, and we had the wonderful smell of the sugar beet factory, add to this the arse is nearing completion, and still looks totally out of place, what chance it will burn down? now I begin to understand why you returned north.
The Gardens look nice, but not a patch on the Abbey Gardens....

Hilda said...

Oh wow, the water's so green I thought it was still part of the lawn and I was wondering why it was slightly darker — I thought it may have been just a different variety of grass.

I love, love the second picture of your son in the middle of a lep!

Hilda said...

Oops, leap, leap!

Anonymous said...

We drove to Norwich yesterday to spend the vouchers I got for my birthday the day before. I felt very guilty because most of the time we were crawling along the roads through lakes of water, so to see your lovey sunny day was a surprise.

Never mind, we'll get our revenge come winter - it's much darker and colder up there then!

Christina S said...

Picklesmum, yes, Mr Ruby told me he got soaked playing hockey on Sunday morning in Bury St Edmunds. We had glorious sunshine all day!!

Cat of Stripes, lol, that's one of the disadvantages of blogging about a good secret - it's no longer secret. Do email me to tell me when you're coming!

Hi Bury Boy, I shall be back in a couple of weeks and with bated breath shall be going to visit the arse to see what it looks like - not good, I am thinking. As far the Abbey Gardens ... there's nowhere else quite like them, it has to be said.

Hi Hilda! Yes, the water was a sort of unusual milky green colour, I'm not sure why. I don't know if it's something they put in it for the lillies maybe - but it makes it look quite fairy tail like!

Jane, it's unusual indeed to have a sunny day up here while it's murky down in East Anglia. I am crowing about it while I can!! Did you get something nice with your vouchers?

Anonymous said...

A new long black quilted coat (M&S)
A beautiful John Rocha top and a t-shirt (Debenhams Sale)
A long denim blue fitted cardigan (Next)

We all got new coats, it was freezing! I stood in Debenhams at the bottom of an escalator and could hear water rushing under my feet - their carpark was amazing, with water gushing out of pipes everywhere, it was just as wet under cover as it was outside!