Monday 12 January 2009

Changing View, January

Very January. The park by Clifford's Tower is deserted and colours, distinctly muted. You can just see the York Tour bus in the distance on the road, providing a splash of red.

I've decided to take a picture of this view every month, to see how it changes - a lovely idea which is not my own, but is from Marley over at Cheltenham Daily Photo. I've been really enjoying his recent Changing View series, which he began in September, and have been amazed at how much his scene changes in as short a period of a month - what a difference passing time and the seasons make. Thanks Marley for the inspiration - I hope you don't mind me adopting your idea for YDP.

Clifford's Tower is probably York's most well known landmark. Very distinctive up there on its hill, where it has been standing since 1069, built by William the Conqueror as part of his campaign to subdue the Northerners. Anyone out in town in York on a Saturday night will soon see it clearly didn't work ... ;-)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It will be interesting to see the changing views here. I guess by summer we wont be able to see Cliffords Tower. I am interested in seeing more of it though. Maybe you could take photos showing us more detail of the tower.

Olivier said...

cela donne une belle vue. Et puis on a tous nos endroits préférés a prendre en photo.

it gives a nice view. And then all our favorite places to take photos.

Tanya Breese said...

That bit of red is a nice sight with all the drab colors of winter. I love Marley's changing view series so this will be fun to follow as well :)
Hey, my husband is a descendent of William the Conqueror!

Hilda said...

I'm glad you got inspired to do this too. Like Tanya, I'm going to enjoy this!

Christina S said...

I hadn't thought of the trees covering the tower side of things, Mo! I guess it will be a case of "Now you see it, now you don't!" I wonder at what point that will happen!

It also occurs to me that this area is sometimes impassable because of flood water. I'll have to invest in a pair of fisherman style wellies - or a swimming costume ...

marley said...

Glad I inspired you! I can't wait to see how your view changes. Last week Dusty Lens at http://northmetro.blogspot.com/ joined in. Then there were three! :)

essbdee said...

oooh four now! I started today with my "changing view". I'm going to edit my post and link to your blog as well now :)