Tuesday 6 January 2009

The Home of the Chocolate Orange

The imposing builiding above (photographed yesterday morning on my way back home after the school run) is the home of the Chocolate Orange. Yes, it's Terry's, the chocolate factory! Or should I say, it was. Sadly, in September 2005 it closed its doors for the last time. Chocolate Orange production now takes place outside of the UK, at Kraft foods in Sweden, Poland, Slovakia and Belgium.

So what of the building?

Since its closure, the factory has been standing empty, but plans have been drawn up to convert it into a complex of luxury appartments, business and retail outlets, and a leisure centre. There have however been planning permission problems. And the project has not been mentioned for a while now. The hoardings advertising the development are still there (above) but with the current downturn in the housing market, I wonder if it is actually going to happen?

6 comments:

Olivier said...

c'est toujours triste de voir disparaitre une usine (surtout de chocolat) et en effet avec la crise beaucoup de projets ne vont pas jusqu'au bout...

lunarossa said...

I still mourn for the loss of Terry's, Ruby. Chocolate Orange is not the same anymore. If I'm not mistaken I seem to remember that the buiding was used to "entertain" Her Majesty when she came to York with her entourage during Ascott week...Wish you all the best. Keep warm. It's freezing today! Ciao. A.

marley said...

I remember this place when we used to go to York when I was a boy. Spookily Kraft HQ is in Cheltenham.

It would be a great place for an appartment, overlooking the river.

Ashtonian said...

Not going to happen in this economic downturn!

Jane Hards Photography said...

Its just all so sad. I hope this doesn't happen to Cadburys. Bourneville in Birmingham is a whole village I used to pass in Brum for work. Poor place would collapse. You've taken it so well with the the pink blue sky ribbons.

Patricia said...

I LOVE choc oranges !! Yes !!

So happy to see you back Ruby - we really missed you.....